Saturday, November 28, 2009

Leftovers

What to do with all those Holiday leftovers?

I made two big meals for the "boy" coming home... one was the stuffed cabbage, and then the roast pork with veggies.

Now, he did a good job on finishing almost everything off. Kid can eat!!!!

But I had like 1 1/2 heads of cabbage (just the smaller parts I didn't use for the stuffed cabbage, since I only use the bigger leaves) and the Juice from the cooked stuffed cabbage that he so conveniently left in the fridge.

(figured that out when I tried to find a stuffed cabbage in the juice, and they were all gone!)




So, what I did was chop up the cabbage and put it all in a big pot. I added 2 cans of stewed tomatoes, the left over juice, the left over carrots and celery from the roast, covered it all with water, and cooked, and simmered, it on the stove for about 2 hours.

Result. Rich hardy cabbage soup, that I can freeze in portions just big enough for me!

It'll be nice, when the weather turns colder, to have some hot soup for my dinner. I never waste anything! While a man will almost never use up the leftovers, I made enough out of it to last me almost all winter!

3 comments:

VintageSage said...

Great idea with the leftovers...my stomach was grumbling as I was reading this! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, Judith!

xoxo

Michelle :)

suzanne said...

Good idea! I have equally thoughtful people in my home. Always remembering to leave the dish behind in the fridge after they've eaten off all the food. :)

Mother Moon said...

yum that looks good..... personally I think the best part of big meals is the leftovers....